Friday, October 14, 2016

My memory of Bangladesh Scouts after 1987

I had an opportunity to visit a open Scout Group of Bangladesh in 1987., The Cub, Scout & Rover they were well informed about their country. Bengali being my mother tongue it was great opportunity for me to interact with them very closely. They were regular writing to me and my reply were important to them for getting their proficiency badges. When ever any Scout viist that time, they used to visit my place. I was up dated their personal and scouting activities.

In 1995 a team of five youths from Behrampore, Murshidabad, West \Bengal, they planned to visit Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal and India with three motor cycle. Due to political instability they team had left Bangladesh from their itinerary. 

We had strong desired to have joint venture from river Ganga  to Padma which was not materialised. How ever two expeditions wer took place on river \Ganga from Maharajpur, Jharkhand, India to Behrampore ( West Bengal), a total distance of 190 kms covered by 3 country boats by 14 persons . in 5 days. 


Another expedition was organised in 1996 from Behrampore (West Bengal) to Kolkata, a distance of 300 kms in 8 days by 18 persons by 2 rafts prepared by the members of the team.




In 1997, I went again to Bangladesh to attain Asia Pacific Rover Moot, an event organised by the Bangladesh Scout. . We all stayed under canvas at  Syleth. We went there by road from Dacca. There were about 2500 participants mainly from Bangladesh Scouts including Girls Guides. 

Bangladesh Amateur wireless operators had established station there at. a helicopter was in stand by mode near the camp location. I was attached with the Public Relation group of this event. I helped in publishing their special numbers during this event.

Bangladesh Radio, Syleth Station took an interview of my experience and scope of adventure in India. This was broadcasted during this event.

I had an experience to stay in a family of Bangladeshi, who is an senior amateur radio operator, his call sign is S21A, Mr. Sherif. Mr Anwar, call sign S21L who took me to places around Dacca including Bangladesh TV at Dacca.

My experience of visiting Bangladesh after a gap of ten years, in my mind that the general people were not getting food in 1987 which was not there in 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment