Thursday, April 24, 2014

5th Rock Climbing Course of Himalayan Association of Kolkata, West Bengal

It was 46 years back I was a college student of Bangabasi College, Kolkata. A cadet of  National Cadet Corp (NCC)  of senior division, army wing. My Battalion was 18th Bengal Battalion NCC. I was looking forward to undergo Rock climbing course, a senior trekker of central Kolkata of Council of Himalyan Exploration of Central Kolkata, Creek Row. He was active member of a library, he advised me that he will arrange for my rock climbing training when their organisation will arrange the same.  I arranged a reception at NCC Club House for their team member who went to climb an unnamed peak in Uttrakhand. Till to day they have not organised any rock climbing course. I saw a news published in daily paper of Kolkata and came to know that Himalayan Association (HA) of 89 Mahatma Gandhi Road, (College Square), Kolkata organising their 5th Rock Climbing Course at Sushunia Hill, Bankura.

I approached my College Vice Principal,  Late Sudeb Ghosh, a spirited sports man. He sanctioned an amount for joining my course.

My Rope Instructor was Mr Shymal  Chakraborty, Sherpa Da Namgyal of Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI)  was one of our Instructor. Mr. Chanchal Kumar Mitra, was then Secretary of the HA. Mr Manik Banerjee and Ms Deepali Sinha were among the Instructors.


Our Graduation ceremony was held at Kolkata Information Center, Kolkata, the H’ble Governor of West Bengal Mr Dharma Vira

No comments:

Post a Comment